Friday, April 1, 2011

The Fate of Adrien


One day, as I was reading a book, I looked through the window and saw...
Of all things…
A tree.
Well, yes, I guess that’s pretty normal, after all. And, naturally, this tree was good-naturedly ambling towards my window, with its branches outstretched.
With a loud crash it hugged the side of my house, all the time wailing “O Adrien, my dear Adrien, I knew you would become something great when you grew up!” I guess ‘great’ meant the side of my now wrecked villa.
This tree continued wailing, making noises that I attempted to recognize, but failed spectacularly.  As a pastime, I looked closer at the tree. It looked like a sequoia, being rather sentimental, weak in the mind, and, of course, just a bit overweight. This was about the thinnest I had ever seen, and I have seen a lot, considering the fact that they migrate right past Mannville.
Presently, the tree kneeled down and started sobbing. I wouldn’t blame it. The fact that one of its loved ones had been caught during the skyfishing season must have been horrifying. But it wasn’t the fisherman’s fault that the tree decided to fly at that time. It could have just driven a car, you know. No need to show off its flying abilities.
So, it happened that this particular fisherman found it to be a bad specimen and was going to burn it alive, but it takes loads of courage to burn a flying tree. So he stuck it in a cannon, wished it good luck, and blasted it off to nowhere in particular.
And I guess it was this tree’s horrid fortune that he ended up at a lumber mill, to be cut apart, processed, laminated, painted, and used to build my villa in the Cloud 10 society.
But it was probably kind of lucky, too. The worst luck would be it ending up in a Morning Mannville newspaper factory. There it would be processed, cut into thin sheets, dyed, and-worst of all- INKED. Just imagine if you were there.
It was really that tree’s fault that he ended up where he is now.
He should have just settled down, made a living, and retired in a nice and comfortable home.
A thought came to my head:
Just like me.
And I laughed, my leaves rustling in union.

No comments:

Post a Comment