Sunday, November 20, 2011

VHMUN (READ THIS ONE FIRST!!!)

In case you're wondering, VHMUN stands for Vibgyor High Model United Nations. It was among the most fun experiences of my life (perhaps it was getting to stay at Mumbai without any adults peering over my shoulder, I don't know). I was a part of the press, a bunch of writers and photographers who create a newsletter filled with articles detailing about the entire event.
MUN is practically the United Nations at a kid level, where students come together, draft resolutions, and attempt t resolve disputes between countries in ways that things would happen in the UN. Of course, to match with the UN, a formal dress code is compulsary (which resulted in me buying a costly suit), yet the price was worth it.
At the same time as this post is published, two others giving my articles are going to be published. I was sent to watch DISEC (Disarmament and Security Council), where most off the people from my school were present. I was told to note down everything that I saw, especially mistakes. My only problem was that my article was HUGELY changed by the time it was published.
Here are my notes:

  • Chatting on Facebook during explanation of procedure.
  • Introduction to common yields, motions (NOTE: Yields and motions are used in the council to make it formal.)
  • Passing of chits to talk to each other.
  • Drama in the back: USA sending notes through UK to UAE....UAE looks irritated.
  • Mock session on if US has great influence who is worse: Justin Bieber or Rebecca Black! :D (originally supposed to be "if US has great influence over the UN", but the more fun-loving people changed the topic as I was writing it down)
  • Argentina claims that Rebecca Black has the "worst lyrics on Earth" and that she makes songs that are about "which seat she should take in the car."
  • The Press head opposed this, saying that "at least Rebecca donated her money to Japan after the earthquake."
     
Once I reached my room, everyone else's work had finished, but mine had just begun. I chose the ones I didn't need and crossed them out:

  • Chatting on Facebook during explanation of procedure.
  • Introduction to common yields, motions procedures (NOTE: Yields and motions are used in the council to make it formal.)
  • Passing of chits to talk to each other.
  • Drama in the back: USA sending notes through UK to UAE....UAE looks irritated.
  • Mock session Moderated caucus on if US has great influence who is worse: Justin Bieber or Rebecca Black! :D (originally supposed to be "if US has great influence over the UN", but the more fun-loving people changed the topic as I was writing it down)
  • Argentina claims that Rebecca Black has the "worst lyrics on Earth" and that she makes songs that are about "which seat she should take in the car." He also claimed that he will "sue her for ruining his ears."
  • The Press head opposed this, saying that "at least Rebecca donated her money to Japan after the earthquake."
     
I took out the "Drama in the Back" note since it seemed slightly personal and I didn't want to mention it. It later came up, however, in full blossom, and the entire Press team ended up finding out about it. At the ending, it ended up in my overview.
Read the next one now!

No comments:

Post a Comment