Sunday, July 31, 2011

Kidnap Revised (Part 3)

I haven't finished the third chapter, but here it is so far:

BEN
            Yeah, right. Jen is fabulously famous for fibbing, so I’m pretty sure that you know that she was the one trying to make herself seem great and me as an idiot. Anyways, here’s my story.
            Both relief and annoyance began to tug at my mind.
            At least I escaped from the wrath of our principal, said the first voice.
            Yeah, but you just had your life in total danger over there! You could have been killed! Imagine if you fell into the nets! Said the second.
            But I didn’t!
            That’s not the point!
            It IS the point! Why should I worry about what could have-
            SHUT UP, BOTH OF YOU! Said another voice in my mind. Can’t you see the poor thing is struggling under your pressure? He’s recovering from injuries, anyway.
            Injuries that could have been prevented!
            You shut up, you dung mouthed dodo!
            Oho, who are you calling “dung mouthed dodo?” You’re the one who oh-so stupidly told me not to warn him about the sign!
            I did NOT!
            Oh yes you did!
            Oh, you lazy lying loser! Don’t spin tales!
            You’re the one spinning—
            SHUT UP, WILL YOU? I yelled inwardly. I’M TRYING TO DRIVE HERE!!
            -which was exactly my point, said the third voice helpfully.
            Luckily they didn’t break out into another argument.
            I turned the corner and came onto Evelyn Street, where the golden leaves slowly drifted down to the road. On the side of the road was Jen, with that stupid dazed look she always gets when someone tells her she got a question wrong in an exam. Only something extremely shocking could have done the same to her.
            I am a good, human being at heart (most unlike my twin) and could not have left Jen in such a helpless state on the side of the road. So, like the Good Samaritan, I silently drove to her and tapped her on the shoulder.
            And so commenced the yelling.
            “Can’t you see that I want to be alone? Just leave me alone, will you? GOD, you are so annoying!” And so on and so forth until tears were trickling out of the corners of my eyes because I had yawned so much.
            At length she finished blowing her head off and I mildly suggested that we leave.
            “Why, what else would we do, you nitwit? Get a move on!” And without a word she disappeared. I shrugged to myself. Having a hothead sister wasn’t my fault after all. I waited until she was out of sight, and then started up my hover-cycle. She probably thought that she would reach home before I did. Then, like normal, she would brag about me somehow getting a large head start and her racing at an incredible speed to overtake me. But I knew a shortcut. It was kind of dangerous, but a shortcut nevertheless. And as you probably read before, I’m not one to shy away from danger.
            Revving up my engine, I raced forward and took a sharp turn to the right. Suddenly, I felt my hands losing their grip and my mind losing its consciousness as the mist of dreams descended upon me…
            “Alicia, you stay here,” a man said to his maid, “We want to go for a special walk together.”
            Alicia looked unperturbed. “Whatever you say, sir,” she said carelessly.
            The man and his wife turned left and started walking down the street.
            “I don’t trust her,” said the lady.
            “Neither do I. That’s why I told her to stay around the corner.”
            “But for what reason? Is there something important you want to show me?”
            “Yes there is.”
            The man pulled out a blue velvet case. Opening it, he pulled out a red and black necklace. The two colors entwined beautifully, making even the flocking thrum-thrums, which vainly displayed their vivid colors, seem like mere scribbles.
            The woman’s face wore a grim expression. “You can’t trust me with this, Richard. It’s too dangerous.”
            Richard’s face was solemn. “I can trust you, and I will trust you. I am your husband. Do as I command. Protect the necklace until your death. Then choose a worthy successor.”
            “But…but…the power….it is too great! How shall I be able to contain it?”
            “You know very well how.” Richard’s face was harsh.
            The woman’s face paled. Her hands began to tremble.
            At that moment, Nature removed its control. Cats, stalking silently, began to appear from nowhere. With a piercing yowl, they leaped.
            Ferocious, foaming at the mouth, they clawed and bit. The man and woman fell under the enormous group of raging animals. A baby cart, holding two twins, was left untouched in a corner.
            The man managed to get free for a few seconds. “Alicia! ALICIA! Get the children out NOW!” he yelled.
            Suddenly, a maid came rushing onto the street. She attempted to help the couple, but was shooed away by the man.
            “There is no hope, Alicia. Get the children out of here! NOW!”
            She scurried to the cart and pushed it in my direction. She ran right past, while the babies were wailing piteously.
            My mind snapped back out as suddenly as it had dropped in. Feeling sick to the stomach, I dropped into a faint.
            I awoke after a few minutes. The shock of such a vision and the confirmation of Jen’s belief that I was delusional combined with a totally idiotic idea had been enough to overwhelm a tree.
            A hallucination of that sort usually meant (according to the leading psychiatrists) that there was something in my life that was disturbing me greatly. Thinking back, I recalled my problems of the day.
            Topping the list was the idea that Jen would complain. Could the cats be the teachers in the school, the maid my Mom, and me one of the twins…..? Then who was the other twin? Why did I think of cats attacking? Why not any other animal? And most of all…
            WHY DID I THINK OF MYSELF AS A BABY?????!!!!!!
           

No comments:

Post a Comment