Friday, March 25, 2011

A Lion's Diary

What happens when you read the diary of a lion trapped in a zoo? Well, just read on...


                                        
11-20-09
            I was trapped behind the bars in a cage. It was small even compared to all the other cages. Even the penguins had a large emporium with ice, and water. I, the king of the jungle, had the smallest cage of them all. I looked enviously at the Siberian Tiger, just adjacent to me. It had a large glass room all to itself. The room was at least ten times the size of my cage. Added to that, no one was around it. They were all around me.

            A few more people added to the crowd around me. Why couldn’t they go to the penguins, which were now waddling around in their lopsided manner? Or to the Tiger, who was sun bathing? Why me? The mix of human sweat, popcorn, and coffee made a nauseating smell.
            People started poking me, especially the naughty little ones. To show my annoyance, I let out the loudest roar I could. The crowd backed away for a moment, then, seeming to remember I was helpless, gathered around me, louder than ever. What’s worse, even more people came. Didn’t they realize lions also needed their peace? They’re as selfish as a miser!
            I moved to the quietest corner of my cage, but the room of the cage wasn’t much, so it wasn’t much use anyway. I looked at the tiger again. It seemed to be grinning at me. Today was the 20th of November. My son’s death anniversary. Consequently, it was also my “capturing anniversary”. They happened on the same day.
            I still remember it vividly.
            My 2 year old son was chasing me, in a friendly game. It was lovely to feel the grass below our feet, to be able to run across endless open spaces, with no humans to bother. I could see a jaguar napping in a tree and a King Cheetah running as fast as lightning to capture a Thompson’s Gazelle. Finally, my son caught me, nipped my tail with delight, and sprinted off. I chased after him, and slowly gained on him. Just then, a loud BANG alerted us. Our ears pricked up. The jaguar awoke, the King Cheetah stopped running, and the Thompson’s Gazelle swiveled its head around. The Bang resounded again. Nothing that could ever create The Bang was living here. It could only mean one thing: intruders. My son and I rushed back to the pride, which were shading beneath trees. They were panic-struck. My son and I tried calming them down. After a while, we managed to do it. Then, The Bang sounded again, closer than ever. Which brought us back to our initial stage. A flock of birds flew overhead.
            Two humans walked into the savannah. They had long, slender devices like a barrel. My son, who was very personal about our territory, immediately rushed out to attack. The Bang sounded again, and my son fell to the ground, blood on his chest. Sorrow and sadness filled me at first, then outrage. I let out a huge roar, and sprinted towards them. Seeing me, they had a small pep talk. I leapt into the air, a few yards away from them, when, unexpectedly, a third human jumped up with a green, slender barrel-like object, just like the ones that created The Bang. A pain shot through my chest, and I dropped to the ground. My only consolation was that I was lying next to my son. His lifeless eyes gazed into mine. I was able to watch them carry his body into their truck, grinning and laughing. Then I blacked out.
            The next thing I knew, I was in the cage. All the excitement of the wild was gone. No open spaces. Only locked cages. No proper meat. Only small steak. Everything was taken away from me, even my son. I wondered what had happened to my pride. Another territorial male would have taken over by now. I padded the small room inside my cage. I was confined to a small place. My pride had been diminished. I was being treated as a pauper.
            I wished I could get out of the cage, and rush to my pride. It was impossible.
            I still wonder when I will be allowed out of this dreadful prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment